Commemorating 75 Years 1938 – 2013
Early in 1938, there were approximately 25 sportsmen in Southern Lancaster County that thought there was enough interest in the shooting sports, and protecting wildlife and the environment, that a club was needed to organize themselves and other individuals with the same ideas. In the first year, association membership totaled 145, and dues were $1.00. Meetings were first held in the American Legion Post, and later moved to the Quarryville Fire Hall.
After many years of fund raisers, and with some money in the bank, a committee was appointed to look for a permanent place to call home. In 1967, a 75 acre farm located at 742 Hollow Road, was purchased for $30,000.00. The plans for the clubhouse were approved and following months of hard work, the construction project was completed in 1970. The clubhouse consisted of a 25 X 60 foot cement block building, with a kitchen, fireplace, restrooms, and a full-length porch. An 18 acre wood lot adjacent to the property was purchased in 1973, and a farm pond was constructed for the kids fishing derby. In 1978, a 29 X 80 foot two story addition was completed on the east end of the existing clubhouse. It was used for meetings, and indoor archery, with the basement for storage. In 2006, a member and his wife donated a 34 X 60 foot storage building. Our facilities continue to improve, with the addition of central air conditioning, and updated lighting. New paint outside the clubhouse and in the basement, and some blacktop, landscaping, and a membership card reader electric access gate, have improved the overall look and function of our grounds. The club property now totals 93 acres.
The trap field was graded in 1967, and by 1970 the third trap house was completed. We joined the Pennsylvania/Maryland Trap League consisting of The Cedars Gun Club in Maryland, The Oxford Gun Club and our own club here is Southern Lancaster County. We still compete in the Pen-Mar Trap League today. The original trap houses have been expanded to five, which are automatic and voice-activated to release the clay targets. Our first rifle range had backstops at 25, 50, 100, 150, and 200 yards. An additional 100 yard rifle range was added with 25 and 50 yard backstops. Both rifle ranges have pavilions and a total of 28 shooting benches. A 300 yard backstop was the latest addition. The original pistol range was constructed in 1989 with 10 firing points for Bullseye and Practical Pistol league competition. Two more firing points were added and the 7, 15, 25, and 50 yard firing lines now have concrete shooting pads. The second 50 yard range was added for Muzzle Loaders and informal pistol practice with a concrete pad, three shooting benches and a pavilion. Four 50 foot pistol ranges with high dividing earth banks have been constructed for informal practice and for scheduled Cowboy Action Shooting and PA Steel League events. 9 additional 12 foot wide by 50 foot long pistol ranges, with concrete dividing walls, were completed in 2013. The firing lines are concrete with shooting benches. The archery outdoor practice area has targets at 20, 30, 40, and 50 yards with a shooting pavilion. 3D Archery can provide up to 40 shooting lanes with targets.
Current club activities include: Pen-Mar Trap League, Registered trap shoots, Shotgun block shoots, and trap practice every Tuesday night; Civilian Marksmanship Program high power rifle, CMP vintage sniper rifle, Youth CMP 22 rifle, Wednesday morning 22 rifle, 22 Silhouette rifle shoots, Junior indoor air rifle program, Black powder shoots, Antique rifle shoots; Bullseye and Practical Pistol competition, Cowboy Action Shooting, Thundering Guns Fast Draw Club, PA Steel League, 3D archery and Indoor archery, United Kennel Club (beagles), Hunter-Trapper Education, NRA basic hand gun and Range Officer courses, two Gun Shows each year, Kids Fishing Derby, and a Youth Field Day. Many of these events are supported by a full kitchen operation. We are members of the National Rifle Association, Unified Sportsmen of Pennsylvania, and The Pennsylvania Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, Inc. For contacts, directions, schedules, pictures, and competition results, see our monthly newsletter and our SLCFSA.com Web Page.
The original members of 1938 would be pleased with our progress over the last 75 years. The SLCFSA officers, directors, volunteers, and 2000 plus members, pledge to grow and improve our facilities into the future, as we continue operating as a first class association.